How to Setup a VPN on a Mac
This article will walk you through the process of setup a VPN on macOS using OpenVPN and IKEv2
- With MacSentry VPN IKEv2 client
With MacSentry client
- Download MacSentry
- Once the download is complete double-click and install MacSentry
- Run MacSentry
- Enter your VPN Username and Password and select the server you wish to connect to
- Click Connect
You are now connected to the VPN. Click the MacSentry icon in your menubar to minimize or restore MacSentry.
With MacSentry VPN IKEv2 client
- Download MacSentry VPN IKEv2
- Install MacSentry VPN IKEv2 by unzipping it and moving it to your Application folder
- Run MacSentry VPN IKEv2
- Enter your VPN Username and Password and select the server you wish to connect
- Click Connect
You will be asked to grant permission when connect the first time, click allow.
Manually configuring IKEv2
- Click the Apple Logo in the upper left of your Macs menu bar and go System Preferences -> Network
- Click + on the bottom left and enter the following Interface : VPN VPN Type : IKEv2 Service Name : MacSentry
- Click "Create"
- In the new window enter the following :
Server Address : (the VPN server you wish to connect to eg: ams01.macsentry.com)
Remote ID : macsentry.com
Local ID : local
- Click Authentication Settings. Make sure "Authentication Settings" is set to Username, then enter your username and password.
- Click OK
- On the bottom check the box "Show VPN status in menu bar"
- Click Apply. Then click Connect.
On the top right of your Macs menu bar you will notice a new icon, use that new icon to connect / disconnect from the VPN.
« Back to Setup Guide